Working out how much you or relative might have to pay if someone needs to go into care can be daunting. The care system is complex and varies according to where you live in the UK. The first step is to understand which broad category you are likely to belong to; Social Care, Medical Care or Self-Funder. Here is a typical case study


Social Care (Local Authority)

If you require some form of social care either at home or in a care home and you have assets below the £23,250 upper limit then you could be eligible for some form of Local Authority support.

Medical/Nursing Care (NHS)

In some situations the NHS is responsible for meeting care needs. This is usually when a person's need is mainly for healthcare rather than social care. NHS care can be provided in hospital but it could be in someone’s own home or elsewhere in the community.

Social Care (Self-Funder)

If you require some form of social care either at home or in a care home and you have assets above the £23,250 upper limit then you are classed as a Self-Funder.


Self-funding care is a complex matter that requires specialist advice. Carepal has vast experience at handling these cases and no two are the same. 

We always recommend that people start the process with our Care Funding Review which runs detailed financial scenarios alonside the specific care needs of the person requiring care.

Care Annuities

It isn't a widely known fact that with the right advice, a Care Annuity can provide tax-free funding for care home fees for life. These products can be tailored to suit each individual’s needs and can ease the worry about how to fund for the ongoing cost of care. Find out more
If you would like to find out more about paying for care then either contact Liz Faye on 01282 866287 or request a call back